Language Access Assistance

The Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training (DLT) can provide translation (written) and interpretation (spoken) language assistance services in your preferred language at no cost to you.  

DLT will translate any vital information into your preferred language. “Vital information” is defined as any information, whether written, oral or electronic, that is necessary for an individual to understand how to obtain or receive any aid, benefit, service, and/or training; or required by law.

  • Consent and complaint forms; 
  • Intake and application forms with the potential for important consequences; 
  • Written notices of rights; 
  • Notices of denials, losses, or decreases in benefits or services; 
  • Notices of disciplinary action; 
  • Signs; and 
  • Notices advising individuals of free language assistance services. 

To request translation or interpretation services, please contact the program from which you need assistance. Contact information for major programs is provided below. Additional contact information is available here

Important Program Information 

Unemployment Insurance 

Unemployment insurance is a program for Rhode Island workers who become partially or completely unemployed through no fault of their own. If you have been laid off from your job, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance. 

After you file a claim for unemployment, it generally takes 2-3 weeks for it to be processed. After that, you will need to request a payment each week that you are out of work. You can certify for your payment through our online certification system,, or by calling (401) 415-6772

If there are concerns with your claim, you may need to go through adjudication to determine your eligibility. You have the right to appeal if you are denied benefits. For more information on adjudication and appeals, please see our frequently asked questions page:

Need help? Contact the unemployment call center at (401) 415-6772

Temporary Disability Insurance (TDI) 

Temporary Disability Insurance (TDI) provides benefits to Rhode Island workers who are out of work due to non-work-related a temporary illness or injury. 

Need help? Contact TDI by emailing or calling (401) 462-8420

Temporary Caregiver Insurance (TCI) 

TCI provides eligible claimants up to 6 weeks of caregiver benefits to care for a seriously ill child, spouse, domestic partner, parent, parent-in-law or grandparent, or to bond with a newborn child, new adopted child or new foster-care child. 

Need help? Contact TCI by emailing or calling (401) 462-8420

Jobseeker Resources 

DLT offers numerous resources to jobseekers, including resume assistance, job training programs, and one-on-one career coaching. You can access these resources at a one of DLT’s in-person career centers, or virtually on the Back to Work RI website. 

Need help? Please contact the career center closest to you: 

Non-payment of Wages 

If your employer does not pay you the wages that you are owed, you should file a complaint with the Department of Labor and Training. Examples of non-payment of wages include not receiving your final paycheck, paying under the minimum wage, not receiving Sunday or holiday premium pay, or being improperly paid for overtime. 

Need help? Contact Labor Standards by emailing or calling (401) 462-8550

Paid Sick and Safe Leave 

In Rhode Island, most employees have the legal right to take time off from work to care for themselves when they are too sick to work, are injured, or have a routine medical appointment. You may also use earned leave to deal with the impact of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking. In addition, you may use earned leave to assist your child, spouse, domestic partner or other member of your household for the same purposes. 

If you believe your employer has violated your right to use sick and safe leave, you should file a complaint with the Department of Labor and Training. 

Need help? Contact Labor Standards by emailing or calling (401) 462-8550

Workers’ Compensation 

Employers with one or more workers are required to carry workers' compensation insurance. Covered employees who are injured at work or who become ill from working may be eligible to collect workers' compensation benefits.  

If you are injured or become ill due to your work, report your injury to your employer's workers' compensation designee or human resource department. Your employer must file a claim with their workers' compensation insurance carrier, who will then determine if your injury is work-related and if you are eligible for workers' compensation. 

To report an employer that you believe does not have Workers' Compensation insurance, please call (401) 462-8100 or email

For general questions about workers’ compensation insurance, please call (401) 462-8100 or email For assistance in Spanish, call (401) 462-8555