For Employers

New Compensation Formula

Effective January 1st 2022 for new injuries, intermediate spendable base wage (SBW) calculations will be discontinued; the compensation rate will equal 62% of the claimant’s average weekly wage. Please see Information Letter 21-04 for additional information. The Education Unit has also produced a video webinar with step-by-step guidance.

Report the injury to your workers' compensation insurance carrier. As an employer, you are required to report a work injury to your workers’ compensation insurance company.

The insurance company will file a first report of injury and, if the employee's injury is work-related, will determine whether the employee is eligible for workers' compensation.

A penalty of $250 will be imposed on employers that fail to notify their insurance company of an injury.

With limited exceptions, employers with one or more employees are required to have workers’ compensation insurance coverage. Individual owners and partners are exempt. Most corporate officers are included under the Workers’ Compensation Act. The state-required poster naming the employer’s insurance company or adjusting company must be displayed in the workplace.

An independent contractor is someone who maintains an independent business and is available for hire. An independent contractor is not eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. An independent contractor must file a DWC 11-IC form for each hiring entity (the business that hires the independent contractor). This form may be completed and submitted online by visiting the Workers' Comp Forms web page.

Waivers - Corporate Officers are usually included as employees unless they file a waiver form, Notice of Claim of Common Law Rights (DWC-11) with the Department of Labor and Training. Injured employees who have filed the DWC-11 are not covered by the workers' compensation system, and they are NOT covered by their health care provider for medical bills related to work injuries. Employees who have filed the DWC-11 can sue the employer in civil court for damages from work related injuries.

Forms: Employers may use the First Report of Injury form, or they may use their own form to report the injury/illness to their insurance company - they do not send any forms to the Division of Workers' Compensation, because the insurance company will file electronically with the State of Rhode Island.

  • An employer failing to display the workers’ compensation poster faces a fine of $250.
  • An employer failing to provide the required workers’ compensation insurance may be fined $1,000 per day for each day without workers’ compensation insurance. An employer may also be subject to a felony charge, and upon conviction, face a $10,000 fine and two years in prison.
  • A business operating without the required workers’ compensation insurance may be closed under the authority of the Director of DLT.

Find Workers' Compensation Coverage

Rhode Island law requires employers with one or more employees to provide workers' compensation insurance. The Workers' Compensation Insurance Coverage Verification page provides insurance coverage information for employers that have purchased a workers’ compensation insurance policy and certified self-insured employers.

This information comes from policy information reported to the RI Dept. of Labor and Training through its designated agent, the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI).

Compensation Insurance Coverage Verification

Insurance Company Contact Information

If you are unable to verify the employer's coverage or need assistance please contact:
(401) 462-8100

For Fraud and Compliance information, contact:
(401) 462-8100

For Independent Contractors

An independent contractor is someone who maintains an independent business and is available for hire to provide service to the public. Generally, a person cannot become an independent contractor just because he or she wants to be or because an employer prefers them to be. It is not enough that the employee and the employer agree. If a person only works for one business and is directed and controlled by that business, the person probably is an employee and not an independent contractor.

Independent contractors must file a Notice of Designation as Independent Contractor (DWC-11-IC) form in accordance with RI General Law, § 28-29-17.1. with the RI Department of Labor and Training (DLT).

Independent Contractor Designation Forms

1. Designation of Status as an Independent Contractor Online Form

Download PDF

This form clarifies the relationship between a contractor and the business hiring the contractor. Submitting this form means that the contractor is not an employee of the hiring business for workers' compensation purposes. The contractor is responsible for his own workers' compensation insurance coverage. The hiring business is not responsible to provide workers' compensation coverage for the independent contractor.

2. Notice of Withdrawal of Designation of Independent Contractor Online Form

This form ends the relationship between a contractor and the hiring business. Submitting this form means that the contractor is no longer independent of the hiring business named on this form. If the contractor continues to work for this business, the business would be responsible to provide workers' compensation coverage for the contractor.

Once completed, PDF Forms can be faxed to (401) 462-8128 or mailed to:

RI Department of Labor and Training
P.O. Box 20190
Cranston, RI 02920-0942

Search Independent Contractors

Search by name
Search by Hiring Entity