For Injured Workers

I have been injured at work. What should I do?

Report your Injury to your Employer's workers' compensation designee or human resource department. At this time, your employer must file a claim with their workers' comp. insurance carrier.

Your employer's insurance company will file a first report of injury and determine if your injury is work related and if you are eligible for workers' compensation.

The RI Workers' Compensation System is a form of no fault insurance designed to provide assistance to employees injured at work for medical expenses and/or lost wages. The employer buys an insurance policy to cover accidents to employees in the workplace. The employer's insurance company pays claims that are covered under the employer's insurance policy.

Employers with one or more workers are required to carry workers' compensation insurance. Sole proprietors, partners, certain real estate, agricultural and domestic service employees are not covered. Police, firefighters, and federal employees are covered under different compensation programs. Municipal employees are only covered if the municipality has chosen to be covered. Independent contractors are not covered.

Covered employees who are injured at work or who become ill from working may be eligible to collect workers' compensation benefits. If your injury or illness is not work-related, a different program, such as Temporary Disability Insurance or Social Security Disability may provide benefits.