TDI / TCI For Employers
TDI is income support for individuals out of work for non-work related illness or injury; TCI is income support (up to 4 weeks) for individuals out of work to care for seriously ill child, spouse, domestic partner, parent, parent-in-law, or grandparent, or to bond with a new born child, adopted child or foster child. TDI/TCI are financed entirely by payroll deductions.
Eligibility Requirements to collect TDI/TCI
- Taxable Wage Base - $71,000 for 2019; Tax Rate - 1.1% employee wage deduction
- No waiting period but must be unemployed due to illness/injury at least 7 days
- Monetary Eligibility - $13,800 in base period wages; or $2,300 in one of the base period quarters and total base period wages of at least 1.5 times the highest quarter earnings, and total base period earnings of at least $4,600.
- Nonmonetary Eligibility - Worked for RI covered employer and have medically certified disability.
Salary, Sick and Vacation Pay
Employee can be paid salary, sick, and/or vacation pay while in receipt of TDI.
About Fraud and Misrepresentation Prevention
- Internal TDI program determines concurrent working and collecting benefits.
- Communication with WC Court, insurers and UI to prevent overlap of benefits.
- Fraud Unit investigations and prosecutions if warranted.
- Law allows for the impartial medical examination of TDI beneficiaries.
- Claims referred to Medical Consultant for review and recommendation, as needed
TDI and Workers' Compensation (WC)
- TDI and WC cannot be received for the same weeks
- WC claim must be filed if the illness/injury occurred on the job
- If WC claim is contested, a TDI claim can be filed
- TDI is reimbursed if WC then pays for the weeks TDI has been paid
TDI and Unemployment Insurance (UI)
- TDI and UI cannot be received for the same weeks
- UI must be reimbursed if UI was paid for weeks TDI should have been paid.
- Deduct TDI tax from employees' wages; Send tax to Employer Tax Unit quarterly
- Provide employee wage and employment reports when requested by TDI
- Display Notice to All Employees Poster in the workplace.