Para la traducción hacer clic en el cuadro de arriba
Para tradução em Português, por favor clique a caixa em cima

Skip to Main Content

Home Unemployment/TDI Workforce Development Governor's Workforce Board Regulation & Safety Workers' Comp Labor Market Information


Fraud and Compliance

Find Workers' Compensation Coverage


Rhode Island law requires employers with 1 or more employees to provide workers' compensation insurance. The Workers' Compensation Insurance Coverage Verification page provides insurance coverage information for employers that have purchased a workers’ compensation insurance policy and certified self insured employers.

This information comes from policy information reported to the RI Dept. of Labor and Training through its designated agent, the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI).

Employer's Workers' Compensation Insurance Coverage Verification


Insurance Company Contact Information 

If you are unable to verify the employer's coverage or need assistance please call (401) 462-8100 or email

Check out our brochure and frequently asked questions to find out more about workers' compensation insurance.

For Fraud and Compliance information, contact (401) 462-8100, or email

Frequently Asked Questions about Coverage:
Click the question to display the answer

1. What is workers' compensation?
The RI workers' compensation system is a form of no fault insurance designed to provide assistance to employees injured at work for medical expenses and lost wages. The employer buys an insurance policy to cover accidents to employees in the workplace. The employer's insurance company pays claims that are covered under the employer's insurance policy.
2. Who needs to carry worker's compensation insurance?
Every person, firm, public service or private corporation, including the State, that employs employees regularly in the same business is subject to the Workers' Compensation law.
3. How does an employer buy workers' compensation insurance?
The employer should contact their insurance agent and ask about workers' compensation insurance coverage. There are many insurance carriers that provide workers' compensation insurance. In Rhode Island, The Beacon Mutual Insurance Company is the carrier of last resort. This means that if an employer is unable to obtain workers' compensation insurance from another carrier, Beacon Mutual should provide the coverage.
4. What if the employer experiences difficulty when attempting to obtain workers' compensation insurance coverage?
The employer should contact the Department of Labor and Training's Workers' Compensation Fraud and Compliance Unit at (401) 462-8100, and the Department of Business Regulation's Insurance Division at (401) 462-9520.
5. Who is covered under workers' compensation insurance?
Employers with one or more employees are required to carry workers' compensation insurance. Sole proprietors, partners, certain real estate, agricultural and domestic service employees are not covered. Police, firefighters, and federal employees are covered under different compensation programs. Municipal employees are only covered if the municipality has chosen to be covered. Independent contractors are not covered.
6. Who can collect workers' compensation benefits?
Covered employees who are injured at work or who become ill from working may be eligible to collect workers' compensation benefits. If your injury or illness is not work-related, a different program, such as Temporary Disability Insurance or Social Security Disability may provide benefits.
























WC Home | Find Coverage | Injured Workers | Insurers/Adjusters | Employers | Independent Contractors | Medical Providers | Education | Forms | Report Fraud | Frequent Questions


Labor Market Info | Temporary Disability/Caregivers | Unemployment | Workers' Comp | Workforce Development | Workforce Regulation Safety | R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |
Rhode Island State Seal An Official Rhode Island State website.

DLT is an equal opportunity employer/program - auxiliary aids and services available upon request. TTY via RI Relay: 711